Difference Between Organic and Inorganic Compounds
Organic compounds are extracted from living organism(plants,animals etc) and inorganic compounds are extracted from non living things(rocks,in laboratory etc).These days organic compounds can be artificially created by human beings, and moreover organic compounds have been found in outer space where there are no living beings.But this the difference which is very basic,in terms of chemistry their are lot of differences between Organic and inorganic compounds,lets discuss about them in detail.
Substance whose molecules contain one or more (often many more) carbon atoms covalent bonded with another element or radical(including hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, the halogens as well as phosphorus, silicon and sulfur).
A few exceptions are carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, carbonates, cyanides, cyanates, carbides, and thyocyanates, which are considered inorganic.
Examples of organic compounds are carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and nucleic acids.
Any compound not containing carbon
Any compound that containing carbon atoms ionically bound to other atoms.(carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, carbonates, cyanides, cyanates, carbides, and thyocyanates).
Inorganic compound have salt forming capacity while organic compound do not form salts.
Organic compound have the molecules which contain carbon and hydrogen. Inorganic compound come mainly from mineral sources of non biological origin.
examples:- NaCl,H2,H2SO4 etc.
Difference Between Organic and Inorganic Compounds(Organic vs Inorganic Compounds):-
1. Organic compounds are extracted from living beings while inorganic compounds are created either due to natural processes or in the laboratory.
2. Inorganic compounds can make salt(as they are ionic), while organic does not due to their covalency.
3. Organic compounds contain carbon, while inorganic compound contain metal and other element.
4. Organic compounds have carbon-hydrogen bonds, while inorganic do not have these bond.
5. Inorganic compounds contain metal atoms, whereas organic compounds do not.
6. Organic compounds are biological and inorganic are mineral in nature.
7. Organic compound are covalent in nature whereas organic compound are both ionic and covalent in nature.
8.Organic compound can form long and complex chain of molecules(hence form polymers) whereas inorganic compound does not have this capacity.
9. Organic compound are source of energy for human life(as food) whereas inorganic compound act as catalyst.
10.Organic compound are used as main source of energy in modern world(as petroleum oil) whereas inorganic compound does not.